Prospecting Safety 101- Little Critters

As we throw all our gear into the back of the vehicle heading to the great outdoors, with visions of making the next big strike, how much thought goes into planning for the unforseen?   It is a big world out there with lots that can happen.   We are roaming around in an environment we are not fully familiar with.   Most mining trips that I am used to, involve a great deal of hiking over rough terrain, trugging through rivers or hot dry desert locals.   Most of these areas will be inhabited with strange creatures, some quite dangerous, some not so.   Keep in mind, we are entering their environment.  This is their home and they will protect it with all they can.

Snakes, spiders and other small animals play a serious role in our safety precautions.   Be it of a river bank or a desert trail, these creatures should be avoided at all costs.   We as prospectors, tend to stick our hands in places that snakes and other critters like to hide in.   Be careful about where you explore.  A diligent probe with a stick into a deep crack or hole under that rock you want to get at, can avoid a long trip to the emergency room.

If you come across an animal in the wild, do what you have to for your protection as well as the animals to scurry it along and out of harms way.   Better yet, just give it a wide berth and avoid it altogether.   Do not chase it down with rocks and sticks or harm it in any way.   Most animals, even the cute cuddly looking ones may turn on you if it feels threatened.   Remember, this is their home habitat and YOU are the invader.

When packing for a prospecting trip or any outdoors trip,  you should pack at least some basic provisions for safety sake.   A good first-aid package to include a snake-bite kit, insect repellent as well as insect bite ointments and a basic assortment of bandages and cloth wraps.   If you are going with the family, keep a close watch on the kids, they tend to be notorious for trying to get better acquainted with Mother Nature's little ones.   Just give natures children some proper courtesy and leave them alone and chances are pretty good, they will leave you alone too.

Be careful out there!

You need to be a member of Goldprospectorsspace to add comments!

Join Goldprospectorsspace

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• WARM WEATHER IS UPON US

WATCH OUT FOR THE..... BUZZ WORMS    (RATTLE SNAKES)

• Last Year My Dog got hit by a Green Majovie on the face I was Told by an old timer Vet to give her ( Evaperated Milk )  and it worked, Dont know why but it did. it was a hard Night but the next day she started to get Better..

• I always carry an emergency survival blanket in my pack, especially when detecting as I can wander rather far from the car.  Even if it's hot out, temperatures of 80's in the day can lead to fatal lows when night comes. If you get lost or fall and break a leg, a little emergency blanket that adds just ounces to your pack can save your life.

• YUP I learned another thing or two last friday. As I headed out of the house I grabbed my backpack and shoved a couple pans in it and a folding shovel. Swung into the local quick stop and grabbed a jug of gatorade. I drove out as far as the snow covered road would let me. I jumped out of the jeep and headed down the road following peoples snowmobile tracks. As I stepped off of the tracks onto the road I wanted to travel I sunk about 3 feet deep in sonw. I struggled as long as I could. I stopped to grab a energy bar and about his was about the time I realized I grabbed the wrong backpack. I have 2 similar backpacks and one is setup with survival stuff and the other is a "just incase" I need a extra pack . Of course I grabbed the just incase one. I had no energy bars, candy, most importantly no firstaid kit. So may I suggest to my friends on here when you are preparing to head out be sure to have all the correct bags and such.

• It couldn't hurt to have at least a small first-aid kit and energy bar in all your packs.  Doesn't take up much more room than a fat wallet.  Just saying!  I have one in each pack and a larger one in the truck.

• Well thought out and excellant advice...thanks for the heads up.

• GLAD IT AIN'T A WOOD TICK

• Those are definitly some spiders. I lived in Iran for a while and never saw any spiders that big. Sure glad they stayed further east. All the backpacking and such in the mountains and desert I,m surprised there were'nt any around

• Jane and I come across Critters on almost every trip and enjoy watching them in thier own habitat much better then a zoo behind the bars. When we finish watching  we always   SHOOT THEM !!!!!           with a camera     Laughing here !

• I would think the most common injury would be a twested ankle. mabie a pulled Muscle, straind Back. but lets not forget to clean the rust off them tools. and don't lift more then you know you are capable of . Most injurys will happen at the end of the day when we are tired so slow down and Good Luck. Dennis

This reply was deleted.