160 Honda HELP!

I know, I know... DRAIN your fuel system before you store your dredge motor for the winter! Not only the tank and sediment bowl, but run the motor dry of fuel in the lines also!! I can't be the only one with one of these trusty little engines that has had trouble with the consequences of not doing so. That said, I have gone through it, and have fresh gas in the tank and sediment bowl, have ran the engine by a squirt of fuel down the carb, but somewhere between the sediment bowl and the carb is still not co-operating as the motor starves out as soon as the fuel in the carb is used up.         ( needle valve/float in sediment bowl IS working fine.) Please tell me there is a fairly simple fix for a guy with a decent amount of mechanical ability.

You need to be a member of Goldprospectorsspace to add comments!

Join Goldprospectorsspace

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ok dave i was going to get to that hi speed jet as soon as you got back to me  there should be some real small holes going from side to side you want to make sure they are open be very careful no to enlarge the holes as that will cause it to flood and creat more probs

assetlene torch tip cleaners work great for cleaning the ports and jets in a carb

garb and choke cleaner is another good tool but be careful it does not like rubber gaskets

• I also had problems but while dredging. Would run awhile(maybe 1/3-1/2 tank) and then brake down alittle run and then just shut down. did have a little trash in carb the first time but clean as a whistle from then on and still did it. Put in line filter and still did it. After 3-5 minutes would crank and run 4-5 minutes and die. By accident once i didn't snug the gas cap back down and had no problems with it shuting down. I ran the pumps in mid Dec with no shut downs with loose cap and ethinal free gas. Don't understand why loose gas cap would let motor run with no problems Found pure gas near my area by using   pure-gas.org   to locate stations, try that site for your area also. I bought spare carbs for the 160&120 for just over 50 total( at 25 per carb) they don't come with the gaskets. 

• Thanks for the input! Ken... I ended up having to clear those side jets also, on the claim of course:(  I'm taking Burrells advise and ordering a new carb just in case as it costs more in gas to go back out for parts. I think for the time involved chasing carb problems, it makes more sense to just replace it at that price! 

• We have them Honda pumps at work we try everything so they will start in the spring, and we still spend 1 to 2  hours on each. To me its just Honda and thats the way it is for us.

• OK... now that we(the carb and I) are better acquainted here is what it was... As I said the fuel on/off and float valve were working. The motor would run by squirting gas into throat of the carb. The only thing between the two is a small brass screw-in jet. It was plugged with a film of varnish. The jet is easily removed with a short standard  screwdriver after the sediment bowl is removed. It's up in the neck the float is hung from. I,m sure a guy could just poke a safety pin or something similar up there without removing it and clear the orifice just as well.

• Dave: The carb gets fuel by gravity feed, that's why the tank is mounted above the carb. Turn the shut off valve off, disconnect the gas line at the carb, turn the valve on. If the gas pours out, the problem is in the carb. If it trickles, or doesn't run at all, the line is plugged.

• was also going to suggest that to tim

• have you cked the fuel shut off valev for restrictions amd the ftel lines make sure you can blow throught the lines. make sure the iode geoing to the carb from the shut off valve is not plugged let me know what and if you do find any of what i have mention  was plugged

• Hey Dave I had that problem this last spring I took the bowl off the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner then sprayed all the little holes up under where the bowl covered them I put the bowl back on and turned the fuel back on waited a minute and it started on the second pull so it must have been varnished up alittle bit and I bet thats what you got... I usually try to run mine out of gas or put stabil in it but I forgot..

• I had a similar problem last spring when I took my pump out for the first time. Had a small varnish plug in the venturi that feeds fuel into the carb throat. I had to dissasemble the carb and soak it in cab cleaner then blow it out with air. If you can get it to run by spraying gas into the carb, Most likely you have the same problem. Stabil in the fall will help when you put it away. Good luck.

Dickb

This reply was deleted.