Replies

• Dave and Bill, Just remember not all coordinates are the same and you need to change in your "options" box, what coordinates to use. Google Earth is free and easy as long as you have a good high speed connection but, you have to use the coordinates that you have, not what the G.E. is set to. I had a very hard time getting mine to work until I learned how to use them. ~drd
  • 48.8583°N 2.2945°E / 48.8583

Cut and paste these coordinates into the area marked search. It knows what to do. It will take you to the Eiffel Tower.

If you do the same thing in Google, it will do the same thing, with more choices.

It is that easy!

Bill
  • I use worldwind it works verry weel you can toggle from satalite to topo which is a nice feature you want to get the older version v. 1.3 is the best
    http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html
  • http://www.gpscoordinates.eu/index.php is a good one, just note it starts you out in Europe
    but it is easy to go back to the states from there.

bob c
    • Great link, Charles! I'm surprised I had never come across that. Lots of great info!
  • You might try terra-server also...
  • Google Earth will work and I think regular Google maps will work, too!
    • Ive try'd google earth but cant find where to put in my own gps coordinates. what im try'n to do is put in coordinates from gpaa claims book and get an aerial of the claim.
      • dave load up google earth.upper left hand corner, fly to box.enter complete coords.you know,degrees,minutes etc. use all necessary symbols like periods etc . then run it. usually works for me.are you in gpaa?
        • Hey Dave, if it doesn't work, use your options that change your coordinates by hour, minutes, etc. that you are trying to put into Google Earth. It has a lot of variances. The Geocommunicator will also tell you if an area is already claimed and the most recent filings and historical filings. It'll tell you if it's not being kept up also. In Arizona you have to file every year during Sept, in order to keep your claim current. A lot of people either forget or just blow it off. I dunno if it's the same everywhere but that's the way they do it there. ~desertratdan
This reply was deleted.