HB 1580

You may or may not be aware that a new Bill (HB 1580) has been introduced that would protect the wildest areas of Morgan-Monroe, Yellowwood, and Owen Putnam State Forests (and others) from logging.  You may not be aware that logging activity has accelerated in recent years.  I know the role of government is a sensitive issue with many here.  However, you must understand that a major objective of some conservative movements is turn over Federal and State land to private industry.  This bill would protect a relatively small portion of land from logging.  Importantly, the language fully supports recreational uses such as hunting, camping, hiking, off road vehicles where currently allowed.  In other words full public use.  It does not however specifically mention gold prospecting and has language that prohibits mineral exploration and extraction (although I believe the intent of that language is for commercial mining).  I urge all Indiana prospectors to contact Matt Pierce, the Bill author, and your local representative.  I already have.  The following is a link to where you can contact Rep. Matt Pierce. 

It might be good to let him know of current restrictions (pan only; no power equipment or shovels), which assure no significant environmental impact.  He may not even be aware of the prospecting community.  So, suggesting a friendly amendment to the Bill might be the best strategy, at least for now.

http://indianahousedemocrats.org/contact-matt-pierce

You need to be a member of Goldprospectorsspace to add comments!

Join Goldprospectorsspace

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Randy, do you have any further information about this subject?

• Jim:

See the reply from Rep. Matt Pierce.  As far as I know the bill is not out of committee.  Thus, no action will be taken at this time.  I still think it is a good idea to contact him and let him know that prospectors are stakeholders with respect to access and use of state forests and that prospecting is a sustainable activity with minimal impact.

• Matt Pierce replied to my concerns and told me that bill has "not be heard", which I take to mean that it has not made it out of committee.  Keep in mind he is in the minority on the Environmental Committee which makes it difficult to move forward.  Anyway, this means that the bill is not currently in front of the full house and is not scheduled to be at this time.  Regardless, I still think contacting him is a good idea.  We need to be our own lobby on this issue.

• THANKS for the info...read the full bill and sent Rep. Peirce a letter.

This reply was deleted.